FormulaNerds Cut To The Race Podcast

Susie Wolff

Susie Wolff demands ‘transparency’ after FIA investigation fallout continues

Susie Wolff demands FIA reform, amid discontent over their handling of the recent investigation

Latest Episode | Cut To The Race Podcast

Susie Wolff has called for transparency from the FIA after the investigation into herself and Toto Wolff. 

Toto and Susie Wolff
Susie Wolff and Toto Wolff attend the “Ferrari” Sky Premiere at Odeon Luxe Leicester Square on December 04, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by John Phillips/Getty Images)

The Wolff household has experienced two distressing days since the FIA announced that Susie Wolff and her husband, Toto Wolff, were under investigation for the alleged sharing of classified information. Whilst the two are married, they are independently the Managing Director of F1 Academy and Mercedes’ Team Principal.

Although the allegation was deemed unfounded, dissatisfaction persists among all parties involved with the FIA’s handling of the matter.

Susie Wolff shares a statement

Having kept fairly tight-lipped regarding the investigation, S.Wolff has recently shared her thoughts on the issue, expressing the belief that the sport, as a whole, requires a more effective council. In a statement posted to her X (formerly Twitter) account, S.Wolff highlighted the multiple areas in which this sort of allegation has impacted her. She said:

“When I saw the statement issued by the FIA yesterday, my first reaction was ‘is that it?’

“For two days, insinuations have been made about my integrity in public and through background briefings, but nobody from the FIA has spoken to me directly.

“I might have been collateral damage in an unsuccessful attempt on somebody else or the target of a failed attempt to discredit me personally, but I’ve worked too hard to have my reputation called into question by an unfounded press release.

“We have come a long way as a sport. I was extremely thankful for the unified support of the Formula One teams. I have worked with so many passionate women and men at F1 and the FIA, who have the very best interests of our sport at heart.”

All aboard the accountability train

S.Wolff has made it very clear. She does not intend to let this two-day ordeal go away. She continued in her statement saying:

“However, this episode has so far taken place without transparency or accountability. I received online abuse about my work and my family. I will not allow myself to be intimidated and intend to follow up until I have found out who has instigated this campaign and misled the media.

“What happened this week is simply not good enough. As a sport, we must demand, and we deserve, better.”

Since the announcement that the FIA was closing the investigation and the statement issued by Wolff. Mercedes confirmed they are now in an “active legal exchange” with the FIA.

Toto Wolff, S.Wolff’s husband, has since shared a statement of his own. Mercedes’ Team Principal said:

“We understand that there is significant media interest in the events of this week. We are currently in active legal exchange with the FIA.

“We await full transparency about what took place and why, and have expressly reserved all legal rights.

“Therefore we ask for your understanding that we will not be commenting officially for now, but we will certainly address the matter in due course.”

Headline image: GettyImages

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.

Back to the top