The FIA and Formula E have presented the Gen3 cars at the Yacht Club de Monaco. The new generation will run from 2023 and brings in several innovations.
This weekend, the Monaco E-Prix takes place. On the sidelines of the event, the FIA and Formula E present the car of the ninth season of purely electric motorsport. The racing car was specially designed for street circuits.
The FIA engineers and experts worked on sustainability and have thereby created the “pinnacle of high performance, efficiency and sustainability“.
Seven teams have announced that they will participate in the Formula E World Championship with the new generation: DS Automobiles (France); Jaguar (UK); Mahindra Racing (India); Maserati (Italy); NIO 333 (UK / China); Nissan (Japan); Porsche (Germany).
What’s new in Formula E?
The Gen3 Formula E cars are the fastest yet. The top speed is 322kmh/200mph. Over 40% of the energy used during the race is self-generated through regenerative braking. The new generation offers up to 95% power efficiency from an electronic motor that can deliver up to 350kW of power. It is the first Formula car to have front and rear powertrains. The front powertrain adds 250kW to the existing 350kW at the rear. The ultra-high-speed charging capacity of 600kW provides additional power during the race.
Interestingly, each uses these aspects for uncompromising but sustainable motorsport. The materials for tyres, batteries and body construction are made from natural materials.
The idea of sustainability is taken further:
• Gen3 batteries are among the most advanced, sustainable batteries ever made consisting of sustainably-sourced minerals while battery cells will be reused and recycled at end of life.
• Linen and recycled carbon fibre will be used in bodywork construction for the first time in a formula car featuring recycled carbon fibre from retired Gen2 cars and reducing the overall amount of virgin carbon fibre used. This will reduce the carbon footprint of the production of the Gen3 bodywork more than 10%. All waste carbon fibre will be reused for new applications through adoption of an innovative process from the aviation industry.
• Natural rubber and recycled fibres will make up 26% of new Gen3 tyres and all tyres will be fully recycled after racing.
• The carbon footprint of the Gen3 has been measured from the design phase to inform all reduction measures taken to reduce environmental impact, while all unavoidable emissions will be offset as part of Formula E’s net zero carbon commitment.
• All Gen3 suppliers will operate in line with top international standards to reduce environmental impacts of manufacturing (ISO 14001) and be FIA Environmental Accreditation 3-Star rated.
To celebrate the arrival of the Gen3 cars, FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem explains:
“Both technologically and environmentally, Gen3 sets new standards in the sport. The FIA and Formula E development teams have done a superb job, and I thank them for their hard work on this project. I am delighted to see so many leading manufacturers already signed up to the championship’s next era and await Gen3’s competitive debut in Season 9 with great anticipation.”
Jamie Reigle, CEO of Formula E, also commented:
“Monaco is the spiritual home of motorsport and there is nowhere more fitting to unveil our Gen3 race car. The Gen3 disrupts and challenges the conventions of motorsport, setting the benchmark for performance, efficiency and sustainability without compromise.
“Together with the FIA, we are proud to reveal the Gen3 to Formula E fans and demonstrate to the wider sports industry how elite sport, high performance and sustainability can successfully co-exist in the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship. We cannot wait to see how our teams and drivers push the car to its limit in 2023.”
Sustainability, in particular, is becoming increasingly crucial in motorsport. Whether the new Formula E racing cars can really show uncompromising motorsport, we will see in the 9th season of the racing series.
Headline Image Credit: fiaformulae.com
Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.